It’s almost time for the 2022 Around the World Virtual 5K Race!
Remember, the rules are super simple.
- Sign up here with your city and country.
- Run or walk a 5K anytime in April
- Post a picture to our Facebook group
- We have designed t-shirts, hats, and other items. Purchase our swag here: Spreadshop If you prefer to purchase t-shirts locally (usually a better deal) message us for the city list and logo! (See email link below).
- If you can, make a donation to our chosen charity Free to Run, a charity that supports female leadership through sport.
- If you are a CLO or have a running group at post, please check out our team race packet here:
For more information or support for your team, please email us!
Our 2022 map shows which locations have already signed up to participate. Add your city to the location by signing up at the link above!
In 2015, Around the World Virtual 5k began as an opportunity for the running and walking community to come together and share a common (if virtual) running opportunity. The race was inspired by a comment by a fellow expat about the lack of fundraising opportunities, and races, that benefited the Diamond Blackfan Disorder research efforts. This expat had a daughter with the disorder and explained that not a single race raised money focused on this cause. We mobilized to create the virtual race and since it was so successful we have continued the race but we have chosen a different charity to support each year.
The “race” is not about winning or really even about running. It is about coming together as a community to share an experience, support each other, and support a common cause. Participants can run or walk anytime in April (although it doesn’t have to be April) and they are encouraged to donate to the selected charity (although they can choose their own charity). The only requirement is to post a picture to document your participation.
While “participation trophies” have been mocked, this is what we are all about. We encourage participation in whatever way works for you and we will support you, encourage you, and maybe even one of our prizes.
We encourage you to gather a team, hold a low-key event, make a donation to our selected charity (or one you choose) and then post a picture to our Facebook group so we can thank you for participation!
For more information, please email us.
|2015||$1,421||Diamond Blackfan Anemia Foundation||22||97|
|2016||$2,170||AAFSW Crisis Fund||38||371|
|2017||$5,090||Save the Children||51||514|
|2018||$2,000||AAFSW Crisis Fund||50||530|
|2020||$250||Environmental Defense Fund||37||186|
|2021||$2700||Micala Siler Memorial Fund||67||216|